Saturday, January 11, 2014

Vanilla Restaurant & Cocktails..crisps, sauces and sorbet!

 
It was my birthday and my childhood friends (+Kemi Barrow and +Joy Olatunde ) were treating me to a birthday lunch at a restaurant of my choosing. I'd been to Vanilla some time ago after having talked with the man behind it all (+Edoro Abebe ) over BBM. The pictures he kept putting up were like a moth to a flame. When a 'Sisters group' I was part of wanted a nice upscale restaurant or lounge to commemorate some important date, I hurriedly suggested Vanilla.

So, we got there...a motley crew of about 15 ladies, unsure of what exactly we wanted and determined to disagree. All I remember from that 'waka' is the din our warring voices created. That, and some very strikingly dressed people.

Fast forward to over 6 months later and my friends & I make our first proper Vanilla début. As with my first visit, I'm immediately struck by the driveway lined by whispering palm trees when the gates close behind you. It's a short drive but the feeling of leaving the busy world behind creates a gentle buzz inside of you.

#Friendsoflife
the Vanilla Cocktail Lounge
As soon as you cross the threshold into the anteroom (for want of a proper term), there's a deliberate elegance that welcomes you. To your right is the restaurant and to your left is the cocktail lounge whose lights and inviting chairs beckon like the sirens that lured sailors in Greek mythology. Well, the restaurant isn't half-bad either. Bold, yet calm horizontal stripes of brown and mustard set the scene. And the sunlight streaming in through the Venetian blinds is quite a trip.

next time i'm asking for more crisps
So, we're seated. Menus are flourished. We're choosing, we're choosing and the welcome bowl of salted crisps makes its way to our table. A little more salt than I'd like but went down in a rather unladylike manner. With friends, you're either on your best behavior or you leave your manners in the cars. LoL. Plus apart from two gentlemen at a table adjacent ours, we had the whole place to ourselves for a while.

My friends ordered the Kung Pao Chicken (cubes of chicken stir fried with peanuts and hot chili peppers, served in a sticky soy sauce with a side of fries), and the Coconut Chicken Curry (cubes of chicken cooked in curry paste, coconut milk, coriander and fresh seasonal vegetables with a side of sautéed potatoes). I had the 'healthy' (Chef's promise, not mine) Beef Stir-fry (lean beef strips stir fried with fresh peppers, sesame seeds, seasonal vegetables and an accompaniment of sautéed potatoes.

Permit me here to gush. Ratings come later but right now, I'm trying not to close my eyes just to reminisce. Right of the bat, I loved the sautéed potatoes. I'd expected whole potatoes but it came sliced and each bite was tasty. I was a tad disappointed when that my beef strips weren't 'stripy' and weren't as tender as I'd have liked. However, the flavor kind of made up for it. My friends each loved their meals too. I took a bite of the Kung Pao Chicken minus the nuts and it was awesome. Tender yet firm and nicely sweet yet spicy. I like pepper and even though this wasn't suya-fiery, it was a spiciness I could 'get'. But the Coconut Chicken Curry, oh boy! The curry was a-bursting with flavor. the coconut was light, more of a subtle hint really and the curry danced around in my mouth. I had to close my eyes and shut my ears to the gist. That, my friends, was an Aha!, moment. jeez!
www.vanilla-abuja.com 


 
Anyways, on to the drinks. We had the 'Lemon Cooler', water and the 'Virgin Oreo Mudslide'. I had to try the last just for the name. The water was.....yeah right, like I would gush over water when I didn't just finish a +Jillian Michaels workout. The Lemon Cooler is refreshing and tingles the taste buds where the spicy chicken just laid bare. And the Virgin Oreos Mudslide (milkshake with oreos blended in and a nicely irreverent scoop of vanilla ice cream on top)....I mean, with a name like that you just have to try it out.

 
The icing on the cake was the Lemon Sorbet. Light and slightly tart, it was a great way of gently reawakening the instincts that had been (so help me God) dulled by the good food and great ambience.
 
So, having oohed and aahed, was it all a heady, no-faults experience? Na God? LMHO!!! Here, as always are my ratings:
 
 
Location: 7/10. I'd thought of a 6 simply because I don't find driving to Maitama during the daytime traffic inviting at all but the little extra parking inside isn't bad plus in the evening there's quite a bit of space in front of the restaurant
 
Ambience/Scenery: 8/10. You get the feeling when you're inside, that time stops and just lets you be. It's large enough that a business lunch could be taking place across from a romantic party of two. There are no harsh lights or out-of-sync colors and the ever present waiters are in your line of sight but not enough for it to be an irritation (yeah, I've got issues. hehe).
 
Service: 6/10: Nice welcome, polite staff. First thing we see on getting to our table is an empty water bottle on the chair. Not a big issue , true. However this isn't Iya Basira or Iya Oyo and these little things matter. And we were done with our drinks before the dishes arrived. AND WE WEREN'T GUZZLING!!! LoL.

 
Cost: 8/10: At an average of N3000 for each of the dishes we had (seafood dishes are about N1000 more), and N1,100 per drink, it's a little more expensive than some of the Wuse 2 places. But if my narrative above doesn't make you spend that little extra to try it out yourself.....I'll say a prayer for you.
 
Taste: 9/10. Did you read what I wrote earlier about the curry and the sautéed potatoes, and the lemon sorbet? "nuff sed.
 
 
So....would I go there and try something else based on this experience? I'm cackling like an old witch even as I type this. Of course I would. The 'Horny Garlic Fish' and various breakfasts have my name written all over them.
 
That's all for now. Hope you enjoyed this review. Leave your comments and click on 'join this site' so you don't miss any of my future foodie #EatAndTell.
 
xoxo

 
Nkechi
 
 
Restaurant deets
 
28 Pope John Paul II Street, Maitama
www.vanilla-abuja.com // info@vanilla-abuja.com
08104545070 // 07057351719
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment